Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Referral-Versary

One year ago today I saw this face for the very first time.

I must have looked at those pictures at least a hundred times that day.  I still remember every detail of the day and the phone call telling me that I had a daughter.  I remember running up and down the hallway at work telling everyone that the long awaited call had finally come.  My co-workers ran back with me to look over my shoulder as I showed her picture on my computer screen.  I remember calling my sisters and e-mailing the pictures and crying with them.  I was in such a fog I didn't realize that there were actually two pictures that were sent with the referral information. Thank goodness for my sister Amy who mentioned it to me.  I remember calling my dad and hearing the overwhelming excitement in his voice.  I remember meeting my family for dinner that night and my step-mom had already loaded her picture onto her phone.  It was a fantastic day, a fantastic feeling.  After all the angst and uncertainty and waiting, I finally knew who my punkin was.  To me it was finally seeing who I had been hoping, praying , wishing and working towards for so many years....my child.

I know that the process and emotions are different for every family.  When I first started the process I requested a child of either gender, 0-24 months.  Based on the wait time and trends at the time I got on the waiting list, I assumed it was more likely that my child would be a boy in the 18-24 month  range.  I had absolutely no preference but again, I thought it would be a boy.  When I got the call I was shocked and thrilled to learn that the punkin was a four month old baby girl.  The moment I saw her picture it was clear to me that she was the child I was waiting for.  I loved her instantly and to be quite honest, it scared me a little. It's a strange feeling to just give your self over to another person you've never met and have no idea how they will accept you.  At the same time, I just knew it was right.  She is supposed to be my daughter, I am supposed to be her mother.  The circumstances that brought us together as a family are tragic.  I think about her birth family daily, but especially today.  Because of their love for her and their  desire for her to have more than they could provide, I have a beautiful, funny, sassy, head strong daughter who is napping in the next room.  I have more than I could have ever hoped for.  I'm rich beyond words and not in the monetary sense but in all the ways that really matter. 

The day I got her referral was the best day of my life to that date.  I couldn't imagine that it was possible to be more excited and thrilled than I felt at that moment.  Now here I am a year later and I still feel that way.  Even though parenting is not easy and it definitely comes with bouts of uncertainty, I thank my lucky stars that the stars aligned and we ended up together


Today, we took this picture.  I think we make a pretty good pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment