Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Guess What We Got?

Last year my sister Kate and I left on the Friday after Thanksgiving to go to Ethiopia to meet Grace.  This year, our journey is coming full circle because I recently received our court date to finalize Grace's adoption in the US.  We go to court on November 23rd, the week of Thanksgiving.  I am already Grace's mother and no piece of paper will change that but it does solidify her as a US citizen and it allows me to change her name and she will receive a US birth certificate.  What it does is put the icing on the already fabulous cake.  It will be good to have all the paperwork finished and finalized.  We have a small group of family coming with us and since our meeting with the judge is first thing in the morning it will allow us to go off and do something fun, though I haven't yet decided what that fun will be.  If Grace has a say it would be eating a hot dog and staring at a big fish tank. 

Today we are going to have Grace's Christmas pictures taken.  When we had her pictures taken in March I made the appointment for early in the morning as I thought that was most convenient.  Being a rookie mom, I totally forgot that would mean that she would miss her morning nap.  While we got some cute pictures, it was a bit of a battle and I thought man, I won't do that again.  This time I scheduled the pictures for a little afternoon time which gives her time for a nap and gives me time to bathe her and get her ready.  Let's hope that she wakes up in a happy mood!  After we have the pictures taken we're going to try to see Santa.  I know.  You're probably thinking what is wrong with this woman, it's not even Thanksgiving and generally, I would be in agreement.  However, her pictures are being taken at the mall and she will be wearing one of the dresses I wanted her to see Santa in so I thought we would try to kill two birds with one stone.  We'll see how that works out.  Last week we were at the mall and we passed by where Santa was and she was oohing and Ahhhing over the setup.  I don't actually have high hopes of her sitting with him this year but we'll give it a try and see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. How neat! I bet she takes a fabulous picture. Grace is too photogenic to get anything less.

    I am not even going to tell you what I expected to see with this post.

    I thought.. A puppy? A spot on the waitlist (thought maybe you were holding back a surprise or something).


    I can't wait to go see Santa next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Jennifer, after I posted it I wondered if people would think I was adopting agan. But alas, no, I'm not. I'm currently pleased with the parent to kid ratio and at this point it seems to work for us. And the closest thing she'll have to a puppy is a goldfish. I appreciate other people's pets, I just don't want any of my own.

    ReplyDelete