Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Best Laid Plans

So the plan this weekend was to celebrate Halloween in spades. Friday night was a Halloween party at Grace's school and Sunday is our town's annual Halloween parade. Grace was excited about both.  Friday night I put her in her Sophia the first costume, we went to the school, bought our tickets and 15 minutes later we were back in the school parking lot with Grace shaking, crying and swearing that Halloween is very weird and she is not going trick or treating ever again.  The problem was that the second we walked into the school cafeteria, she saw a little kid in a gorilla costume with a mask and she lost her mind. I could not convince her that it was just a kid in that costume and it wasn't real. She cried, she refused to let me put her down, I couldn't distract her with the crafts or cookie decorations and she was sobbing to go home. So we did.  We stopped for a quick dinner and then mutually decided that we would skip the Halloween parade on Sunday.

So we went from lots of plans, to very little plans which worked out perfectly.  This morning we took a trip to Starbucks and rather than going through the drive through which I prefer, we went inside so Gracie could people watch.  That made her happy as a clam.  Next we went to Target and bought her some new jeans and a new winter coat because as Grace says, she is getting "giant tall." While there I  decided it was time for a new pair of slippers for her and she chose a sparkly princess pair (big shock there). When I told her she was getting the slippers, she hugged them to her chest and spent the rest of the time thanking me for them. We also picked up a pumpkin carving kit.

When we got home we set to the task of pumpkin carving.  I haven't carved a pumpkin since I was about 11 and even then, my dad always did most of the carving. I generally prefer drawing a face on it but Gracie asked if we could carve them this year so we did.  She loved the whole process.





Then she spent the rest of the day playing with her cousins and the neighbor kids.  Gracie told me tonight it was a perfect day. I have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment